The Scientific Committee (SC) develops recommendations for policies and activities related to all issues of scientific nature.
It coordinates and oversees the activities of the EAN Scientific & Coordinating Panels.
The SC functions as a direct link between the EAN Panels and the EAN Committees & Board to ensure a steady communication flow in both directions.
The Scientific & Coordinating Panels are an important part of the Society and their activity and contributions are considered essential for the future development of EAN. Currently, there are 28 Scientific Panels covering all major areas of clinical neurology and 4 Coordinating Panels, which are dedicated to an overarching topic present across different subspecialties.
During the EAN annual congress, one face-to-face meeting of each panel is organised, which shall also be attended by a member of the EAN SC.
The aims of the EAN Panels are:
- To coordinate clinical research at the European level
- To disseminate good neurological practice throughout European countries (e.g. provide scientific content for the EAN website & EAN Pages)
- To assist the Programme Committee in organising the congress (e.g. session proposals submission)
- To assist EAN in training neurologists (e.g. assist the Education Committee with fellowship reviews)
- To assist EAN in supporting continuing medical education (e.g. update of eanCampus modules)
- To produce clinical practice guidelines according to the latest scientific & evidence levels
It is involved in selecting the winner of the annual European Journal of Neurology Award, reviewing endorsement request for scientific publications as well as survey proposals. The SC is further in charge of coordinating and overseeing the cooperation with the European Medicines Agency.
The EAN SC has one representative from the EAN Communication Committee, the Resident and Research Fellow Section, and from the Guideline production group. The European Journal of Neurology‘s Editor-in-chief sits on the SC as Ex officio.
The SC Chair is a member of the EAN Board and the EAN Programme Committee.