EAN Panels’ Waiver Request Guidelines
European Journal of Neurology joins Wiley’s Open Access portfolio as of 01 Jan 2024.
Submissions will be subject to an Article Processing Charge (APC) if accepted and published in the journal.
Open access publishing aims to make scholarly research freely available to the public, promoting transparency and accessibility.
EAN recognizes that open-access publication fees can be a barrier for Panels, and as such, may grant waivers to cover publication fees for the Panels under specific circumstances. In addition, there is a 10% discount off the base rate APC for the EAN Members.
Please see below guidelines and procedures for awarding waivers to publish open-access articles in the European Journal of Neurology for manuscripts written on behalf of Scientific/Coordinating Panels, seeking financial assistance for open-access publication fees.
To be eligible for a waiver, the requester must be an active member of the EAN’ Scientific or Coordinating Panel, and make an official request on behalf of the Panel.
The article must be intended for publication in the European Journal of Neurology.
The European Journal of Neurolog (EJoN) focuses on publishing papers in the field of neurology and its related disciplines, with a preference for the following manuscript categories to be submitted by the Panels:
- Original articles
- EAN Guidelines and consensus statements (please note that the Journal has discontinued accepting position papers)
- Short communications
Applications must be submitted during the initial planning phase of manuscript development.
The Panels seeking a waiver should submit a request to the Scientific Committee.
The application/request should be submitted online and include the following:
- Abrief description of the research or project for which the waiver is requested.
- A brief explanation of how the article aligns with the EAN's work and the mission, including information on interdisciplinary collab (e.g. with another Panel/Society)
- A brief justification for the waiver request, outlining the unavailability of other funding sources.
- Demonstrate that funds for open-access publication are not available through other sources (e.g., research grants, institutional funding).
- Its primary focus must be research, scholarly activities, or knowledge dissemination.
- Confirmation that it is a common project within a Scientific/Coordinating Panel(s).
Requests will be evaluated based on
- Alignment of the research with the EAN's mission and goals
- Justification provided by the applicant for the unavailability of other funding sources.
- The potential impact and reach of the open-access publication.
- Availability of funds allocated for publication waivers within the organization.
The Scientific Committee will assess each request and decide based on the evaluation criteria.
The requester will be notified of the decision withing three weeks of submission.
The EJoN editors will not be influenced by the decision of the Scientific Committee to provide or not a waiver when they render the decision.
By facilitating open access for society-authored content, EAN aligns with its mission to foster and share knowledge within the community and beyond.