Task Force on Gender and Diversity issues in Neurology
In March 2020, an EAN Task Force on Gender and Diversity issues in Neurology was established given the growing evidence of significant disparities between women and men in the clinical presentation of several neurological disorders. Moreover, other variables, like race, ethnicity and gender can impact many aspects of neurological disease and the overall practice of neurology. An understanding of the reasons underlying these differences is important to establish accurate diagnoses, and to determine appropriate treatment and prevention.
EAN recognised the importance and need of involvement in addressing those issues and decided to establish the Task Force.
The overall goals of this Task Force are:
- To increase awareness of sex, gender, ethnic and racial differences, and diversity in neurological disorders
- To understand the aetiology of these differences
- To recognize their impact on the overall practice of neurology
- To promote gender and ethnic equality in care for neurological disorders
- To disseminate knowledge on gender and other diversity issues in neurology
- To foster health care systems changes
- To partner with other associations and societies interested on the subject